Monday, April 25, 2011

Absolutely THE Best Carrot Cake Recipe!

I've made upteen hundreds of carrot cakes over the years. My oldest daughter thinks she HAS to have one every time she visits us or we visit her. So, of course, for Easter we had another one, as well as a Sour Cream Coconut Cake.

Of all the carrot cake recipes I've used, THIS one was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ONE! The recipe seen below has over 3200 reviews and 100 custom revisions on allrecipes.com (<---I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe website!!!)

I used my Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Pro Mandoline V-4000, 7-Piece Set to create very thin julienne strips and finely grate a little bit of carrot to embellish the top of the cake.
Carrot Cake
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
           Cream Cheese Icing
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
  4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.
I didn't change anything in this recipe. I followed this one exactly as is. Next time I may try adding some pineapple and/or use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar. What changes, if any, would you make?

2 comments:

  1. I just made this Carrot Cake yesterday! It was actually my very first attempt at it and wow...was it a huge success!! Everyone loved it. The only change I made was to add about a cup of pineapples to the mix. Delicious!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Deena! Glad to hear it was a hit! I think I'll add pineapples for sure the next time I make it, too.

    ReplyDelete