My favorite real estate agent, Mary Ann Rivera, wants the recipe for the Sour Cream Coconut cake I made for Easter. So, as promised, Mary Ann, I've finished my hotdog and here it is. :-)
I've always made Sour Cream Coconut cake with a white cake mix, but this time I decided to try making it totally from scratch. So, I set out in search of a recipe for white cake on my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com and found this one for Simple White Cake with over 1200 reviews.
It is a good cake, but I think using a glass baking dish in my RV oven didn't quite do it justice. My Nordic Ware 9-by-13-Inch Cake Pan with Storage Lid that I used for the carrot cake seems to do a better job of circulating the heat more evenly around the batter in my RV oven.
The Sour Cream Coconut Icing recipe I used calls for whipped topping so I found a whipped cream recipe for that, too, rather than using ready made whipped topping.YUM! Good stuff, Maynard!
In a nutshell, the recipes for each are:
Simple White Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Sour Cream Coconut Icing
- 1 pint (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups coconut
- 3 cups frozen thawed whipped topping (8 ounces), light or regular